Georgian Group Architectural Award, Commendation

The Kennels, Goodwood House, Chichester | Brian Beardsmore and Mercer + Tan

Formerly home to the Goodwood Golf Club it was transformed into a brand new club for members, a central venue for gathering and dining to serve all the Goodwood sporting facilities. 
Originally designed by the architect John Wyatt in 1787, the building has been described as the finest example of Sussex flintwork in the country. 
The 1960s poor quality fit-out was completely removed and the splenour of the original rooms reinstated with their tall ceilings, fibrous plaster cornices, oak and Portland stone walls. A modern feature staircase was fitted along with a striking modern design incorporated within the bar and ancillary areas. 
The contract also included two extensions in Sussex flint, one consisting of a golf shop franchised by Ralph Lauren, the other a commercial kitchen. The state of the art kitchen incorporated innovative air handling systems to avoid obtrusive roof ductwork. In addition, new support buildings were constructed to service the two golf courses. 

Source: Chiverton