This landmark building is a non-denominational British mosque, designed for the 21st Century. It accommodates a congregation of 1000 men and women in the busy Mill Road area of Cambridge, providing a spiritual centre, teaching spaces, meeting rooms and a café.
The superstructure uses doubly-curved glulam timber members to form "trees" that reach up to support the roof with their branches interlocking in an octagonal vaulted lattice structure. Skylights above each tree canopy allow light to filter through the branches into the double-height prayer and foyer spaces.
Parking is provided in the large single-storey basement carpark below the building's footprint, which in turn allowed the scheme to include a community garden at street level.
Both the internal and external walls of the building are formed with Cross-Laminated Timber. The external envelope has been finished in masonry tiles while the internal timber elevations have been milled to display an Islamic geometric design.