This Grade II listed building in Buxton is part of the Pavilion Gardens and Opera house complex. It was built in 1875 with cast and wrought iron framing and large glazed screens.
Investigations found extensive corrosion, cracking of some of the historic ironwork and deterioration of the suspended timber floor structures. These defects led to some distortion of parts of the building. The extensive repair works included replacement of the most damaged elements of the building and repairs to other areas including metal stitching and patching to cracked cast iron elements.
All the metalwork was thoroughly cleaned and old paint coatings removed before new high specification coatings were applied. The floor structure was completely replaced and designed to take vehicle loads as the building is occasionally used for vintage car auctions.
The original drainage system was also in poor condition and was replaced to include land drainage under the suspended ground floor which had experienced historic flooding.