The Grade II listed quadrangle at St Edward’s forms part of the original masterplan when the school was established in 1873. The three new buildings, designed with TSH Architects, complete the quadrangle. All three buildings are separate and distinct, requiring individual structural solutions in response to the architectural briefs.
The Olivier Hall is an oval-shaped building providing space for assemblies and performances, with seating available for 1,000. Exposed concrete columns are located around the perimeter of the building, supporting raked seating with cantilevered balconies at the first and second floors. The columns extend upwards to support a long-span steel roof, which sits on top of a concrete ring beam, housing technical equipment for theatre productions, with tension wire grids allowing access to lighting, acoustic, and audio equipment.
One of the key structural considerations was how to build a double height basement with buildings on three sides, including the Grade II listed library. The solution involved assessing the temporary works and propping at each stage of the build, and continuous monitoring to ensure ground movement was kept to an absolute minimum.
The new Library is identified by its steeply pitched timber roof and glazed gable façade, providing views out over the main school quad. The building uses an exposed concrete frame up to the second floor with an exposed glulam frame above. As the structure remains visible, close coordination with services engineer QODA was essential to ensure the services could be integrated within the beams at each level.
Completing The Quad Project is the new foyer space which links the three buildings and acts as the main entrance into the school. An enclosed walkway of exposed concrete columns and full height glazing provides a light connection to the existing, listed library.